Make your plans now to join us at the Institute for Healthcare Advancement’s 13th Annual Health Literacy Conference
May 7-9, 2014 • Hotel Irvine-Jamboree Center Irvine, CaliforniaRegister Here
IHA has organized a hands-on, continuing education conference every year since 2002. The conference is called Operational Solutions to Low Health Literacy.
We have an immersive and instructive experience planned for you to increase your knowledge, sharpen your skills, and provide you with opportunities to share your programs and network with your colleagues.
We are also infusing the conference with a strong focus on the Affordable Care Act, and how health literacy affects enrollment and related challenges.
Here are a few highlights:
Live, National, Interactive Event: Stories and Lessons from the Intersection of the Affordable Care Act and Health Literacy
On Wednesday, May 7 at noon Pacific time, we will convene to talk about the effects of health literacy challenges you have faced with enrollment and implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Did you implement a program? Did you have successes or see failures? What worked? What didn’t work? How will you change what you do when open enrollment begins again in October? We want to hear your stories, your lessons, your programs.
Joining us at the conference? We’ll treat you to lunch and give you the opportunity to listen live and in person and participate. Can’t make it to the conference? No worries, just click on the link we’ll provide at Noon PDT on May 7 and watch and listen right from your computer. More details to come, so stay tuned…
Special ACA Section in the Poster Session
In addition to showcasing the best of programs/services and research as we always do, we’d like to see your posters on your experiences with taking health literacy requirements into consideration when working with the Affordable Care Act. Our Call for Poster Abstracts is open now. Click here to read about the poster guidelines.
Day Long Pre-Conference Training Session
Prior to the 2014 conference, health literacy experts Jann Keenan, EdS, and Janet Ohene-Frempong, MS, will teach an all-day session called Writing and Designing Effective Communication: A Comprehensive Course.
Plenary and Breakout Sessions
We have a number of plenary and breakout sessions that are themed with the Affordable Care Act. Please take a moment to browse the brochure and the agenda. Not terribly interested in the Affordable Care Act? Not to worry, we have plenty of content on other areas and topics as well. But we felt strongly that this major social experiment called for us to turn our attention to how health literacy affects these efforts, now and going forward.
We hope you are able to join us.
–The IHA Health Literacy Conference Team
Conference registration is open. To help you make plans, here are some details about tuition fees, hotel rates, and more.Register Here
|Event||Earlybird (on or before April 11, 2014)||Regular (after April 11, 2014)|
|Group rate (3+ from 1 organization)**||$299||$319|
|*The nonprofit category includes students/education/government/nonprofit groups.
**The group rate is per registrant and applies only when group members are registered and paid for at the same time.
- Writing and Designing Effective Communication: A Comprehensive Course (full-day) — $119
- Cultural Competency and the CLAS Standards (half-day) — $59
- Adapting Health Interventions for Improved Cultural Relevance (half-day) — $59
NOTE: Must be registered for conference to attend preconference sessions
Included with your paid conference registration:
- Breakfast and lunch on Thursday, May 8
- Hors d’oeuvres at the Thursday evening Opening Night Reception/Poster Session
- Breakfast and lunch on Friday, May 9
- All classes, events, and meals will be held at the Hotel Irvine-Jamboree Center in Irvine, California. This is the same venue where we’ve had the conference for the past 6 years, formerly known as the Hyatt Regency Irvine.
- IHA has negotiated a special discount rate of $125 per night plus tax.
- This hotel rate is valid for 2 days before and 2 days after the meeting.
In order to qualify for this discount rate:
- You must mention the IHA Health Literacy Conference when booking your room.
- You must make your reservation no later than Tuesday, April 22. After this date, room rates will revert to the standard rate with no guarantee of availability. So book your room early!
|Airport City||Airport Code||Approximate distance to hotel|
|Orange County||SNA||0.5 miles|
|Long Beach||LGB||19 miles|
|Los Angeles||LAX||41 miles|
|San Diego||SAN||85 miles|
- The hotel offers free shuttle service between the Hotel Irvine-Jamboree Center and Orange County/John Wayne Airport (SNA). To request the service, please contact the Hotel Irvine: 949.975.1234.
Questions? Please contact Michael Villaire:
- 800.434.4633, ext. 202